Today another teacher and I decided to go to a near-by area called
Embu where they sell traditional handicrafts. It’s a little less than an
hour away by car, but we took the bus and metro which takes about 2 and a half
hours. We got there no problem and spent a few hours shopping and finding
treasures. It was rainy today so there were less people there since it’s
outside. We were a little wet, but it was ok. This little town was
so cute with its cobblestone roads and lanterns. Yes, cars do drive down
these streets!

Here is a lantern store I thought was cool. I'm standing toward the back and taking a picture toward the entrance.

I thought it was so funny they were selling overalls! I snuck a picture when it looked like no one was watching!

We grabbed a sandwich at a little cafe where everyone enjoyed laughing at us...just because we were American I guess.
Later we got these delicious treats! Mine was a white brigadero covered strawberry, and Emily's was white chocolate covered brigadero (a Brazilian sweet made mostly of sweetened condensed milk. They sure do love that stuff down here!!)
On the way out I noticed an interesting version of Santa and Mrs. Clause. I don't know if you can tell from this photo, but Santa is in board shorts with sunglasses like a surfer dude and Mrs. Clause is sporting some marvelous midriff and snappy shades! Hey, we're in the tropics right? I've just never seen such a young skinny Mrs. Clause!
Here is a lantern store I thought was cool. I'm standing toward the back and taking a picture toward the entrance.
I thought it was so funny they were selling overalls! I snuck a picture when it looked like no one was watching!
I bought a pretty necklace from these sweet ladies and we had a wonderful "conversation". Later I ended up buying two pairs of earrings ($5 total!) from them and my friend bought some too. Too bad the necklace broke when I got home! I picked it up and all the pretty shells fell off because the string broke! :(
We grabbed a sandwich at a little cafe where everyone enjoyed laughing at us...just because we were American I guess.
Later we got these delicious treats! Mine was a white brigadero covered strawberry, and Emily's was white chocolate covered brigadero (a Brazilian sweet made mostly of sweetened condensed milk. They sure do love that stuff down here!!)
So yummy!
We left about 4 pm. We were looking
for a bus home and rain started to pick up. After a while a bus came
along and a man was yelling two destinations out the door. One was the
destination we needed, but it the bus wasn't labeled. He assured us it
would take us to our metro stop so we got on. Maybe the signs were not
working. Sure enough, true to his word he made sure to tell us when to
get off which was a good thing because we would not have known! So many
people here are helpful. I always hope we trust the right ones!
Anyway, we got on the metro (which I love!) and took that to where we
needed to catch a bus. We got off and walked about 5-10 minutes to the
bus stop. By the time we got there we decently wet from the rain.
It was probably between 5:45 and 6 PM.
This is when things began to get
interesting. AND this is a wonderful story of how God protects, answers
prayer, and truly cares about each one of us. I am really thankful for
this experience because it helps me trust God more and to rely on Him alone.
Without moments like these it’s so easy to forget just how much I need
Him and how powerful he is!
Well, we were pretty close to home outside
the nearest mall. It’s typically a 30 min. bus ride or so. We were
pretty proud of ourselves for how well we had done that day with all the buses,
and the metro. Anyway, we waited... and waited... and waited. Many
people came and left on their buses and we were still there. After about
45 min. we called another teacher from PACA on a cell phone I had just been given
(another blessing!!!). She told us of another bus we could take so we got
on that bus. Neither of us had been on this bus before and we didn't know
the route. Anyway, after a while we realized we were not in a good
neighborhood, but that happens a lot on the bus. Side note...I love the
Metro. Its fast, efficient, color coded, and there are maps everywhere.
The buses on the other hand are slow, bumpy, and there are no maps posted
(or at least I haven't seen any). Anyway, I don't really like the buses,
but they get us around and are necessary so we use them.
There
weren't many people on the bus. My friend commented on a homeless man sitting
one row up and on the other side of the aisle. She said he was staring at
us a lot. Soon after that she asked me to pray. She has been here 3
years and so she knows a bit more than I do about life here. So I started
praying ...also noticing that he kept staring with his sunken eyes and cheeks and
protruding cheekbones. I had also seen the man in front of us turn around
to stare a couple times, but hadn't paid too much attention. Now he was
doing it more and more. When I glanced behind us I saw two more homeless
men staring at us, and when they stood up I could smell the alcohol. The
only other people on the bus were the driver up front and the man who collects
money (also up front). We were toward the back. There was "staring
headphones man" in front of us, "staring homeless man sucking his gums" to the left, and two "alcohol smelling homeless men behind"...all staring at us. Lovely ...So I
started praying and quickly decided I would keep my head bowed, but maybe I
would open my eyes this time. :) I prayed that God would make us invisible;
that He would put his protective angels around us and just make us invisible.
I asked God to please have these men get off the bus quickly and that our
stop would also be soon so we could get off and go home. LESS THAN 5
MINUTES LATER all these men got off the bus!!! It was just Emily and I
left! Wow, thank you God!
The bus was stopped, but I didn't really
think much of that. The traffic is always terrible and the bus is stopped a lot.
Emily realized something was wrong though and went to go talk with the man who
collects the money. I'm not sure how we realized this exactly (neither of
us can really speak much Portuguese), but evidently that was the end of the bus ride!
I thought all buses ended at a terminal...so if we got stuck at least we
would be at a terminal where we could catch another bus. We also would
have the name of the location we were at. Anyway, we were just on this
street. I don't think we were in a favela (slum) per se, but it was
definitely not somewhere you want to get lost on a dark rainy night. By
this time I think it was probably around 7:30 or 8. Either way it was
dark and rainy.
We had no idea what other bus to get on and no clue where
we were. Well, the money man was talking with Emily and the bus driver.
He told the bus driver something and then I heard the word
"gringos". It’s a slang term for white foreigners or English
speaking people. Ha, I have never been called that to my face, but I
figured he could call us whatever he wanted since he was helping us! We
told him the name of a university right across the street from where we live
and he recognized it! He motioned for us to stay on the bus. He ran
to some other bus and the driver got off. Maybe he was on break or had
finished his shift. I don't know. Either way the money man came
back and told us to follow him, so we got off the bus and followed him across
the road to another bus. He talked to a man and we went back across the
road and he had us get back on our original bus. The other man got in the
driver’s seat. I have no idea if they are allowed to do this or not, but
they ended up acting as our own personal chauffeur's! The shut the
bus doors with just the four of us and drove us all the way to a bus stop very
close to where we live! Later I was reminded of the Kerry Underwood song, "Jesus Take the Wheel".
They didn't charge us anything. Here we
were on our own personal city bus with our personal driver and helper.
They talked to us the whole way, and I understood about 5% of what they
said, but it was so great! They were kind, helpful, friendly and just wanted to talk with us. When we got to the bus stop the bus driver let
us off and the money man got out with us, helped us cross the busy street (I'm told that you can get put in jail for life if you hit a tree, but nothing really happens if you kill a person...and its seems that is true based on what I have observed with drivers and pedestrians!), and
took us to the bus stop. He waited with us there to protect us, and make
sure we got on the right bus. It was so kind of him. The area isn't
the greatest, and there is a homeless camp right there with many people sitting
around the campfires and whatever else. I didn't look too much. I
tried to give him money and he refused over and over. In fact, he quickly
made sure I hid it away so we didn't get robbed. He stayed with us until
we got on the right bus. I have no way of knowing this, but I do wonder
if he was an angel. I rarely think about angels, but I asked God to
protect us with His angels and right after that things started to fall into
place. It was pretty amazing. (Maybe next time I'll get an English speaking one. ;) )
I was reminded of II Kings 6: So he answered, "Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them." 17Then Elisha prayed and said, "O LORD, I pray, open his eyes that he may see." And the LORD opened the servant's eyes and he saw; and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.18When they came down to him, Elisha prayed to the LORD and said, "Strike this people with blindness, I pray." So He struck them with blindness according to the word of Elisha.…
I was reminded of II Kings 6:
After that it was a few short stops and a
little walk home. When we finally arrived at the PACA gate the guard
pushed the button to unlock it. We were so thrilled to be back, and so
full of adrenaline we couldn't even get in! We were pushing all over the
gate. I have no idea what we did, but we couldn't get it to open (it’s
not really that difficult!!). He had to unlock it twice for us to get in.
:) Whew! We were pretty relieved to be home, and so thankful
that we have a God who knows everything about us, every little street in the biggest
of cities, and exactly what people we need to meet each day.
That is a really cool story, MB - and, I'm glad God protected you!!
ReplyDelete