Thoughts:
Philippines compared to Brazil
Traffic: U.S. fastest, Sao Paulo in the middle, Manila slowest
Pollution: U.S. cleanest, Sao Paulo in the middle, Manila highest concentration
Bathrooms: Unlike many places on the Philippines all the bathrooms (so far) have had flushing toilets, seats on the toilets, toilet paper, running water, and most have soap!
Language thoughts/stories: went to use the microwave for the first time...all the buttons are in Portuguese...figured it out on the 2nd try!
Washing machines: had to ask for help 3 times so far due to Portuguese...P.S. There is no hot water, but there are dryers!!! (no dryers in the Philippines)
Food: Good so far...lots of rice, beans, meat and white bread...I was hoping for some good fruit, but that might come with time. It is winter here!
Water: Accidentally bought some with "gas" (carbonation) opened it up and it exploded! :)
People here speak less English than other big cities I have been to. I was told this by an ELL professor who has taught all around the world, and from my own experiences I would agree!
School:
Lunch is provided every day...and its really good!! Not making lunches each night is AMAZING!!
I get 2 prep. periods every day and 40 min. for lunch!!! What??!!
We only have staff meetings once or twice a month and the one we had this week was a P.D. session on ELL learners...totally applicable!!
Duty: I only have one duty (lunch or recess) each day every other week!
Recess: The students get 3 recesses a day...a total of 50 minutes!
I hope you just dont get hair on your mystery meat. The thought still makes me gag! haha
ReplyDeleteGlad you are doing well and figuring things out! Kayla was talking about you yesterday! She said she wishes you were going to be her teacher again! She really liked you! Okay ttyl
ReplyDeleteKelly Smith
Kelly, thank you so much for your note! It is really nice hearing from you and Kayla. I would love to work with Kayla again. :) She is a very special girl. Would you give her a big hug for me?
Delete