Here at PACA they celebrate birthday's a little differently than we did at schools in MI. Once a month the room mothers come in with treats to celebrate all the birthday's for that month. This month we had 5 student birthday's! Here are a couple photos.
A Brazilian birthday cake with "confetti".
The birthday kiddos
Singing "Happy Birthday" (also in Portuguese...I have got to learn this song!)
I was just thinking you probably might wonder if we do any work in 1st grade, so I thought I'd update you on our current topics. I guess I don't post much about it because parties seem like more fun!
In Language arts we are doing some testing to gain student levels, working on basic writing (subjects, nouns, capitals, punctuation), and working on Read-to-Self. Today the kids reached their stamina goal of 12 minutes! Here is a photo.
In math we finished up basic addition and are about to finish a chapter on basic subtraction. Next week we will begin addition strategies. In Bible we started with Creation, then moved on to Cain, Able, Noah, the Tower of Babel, and are now at Abraham. The story of Abraham is part of why I ended up in Brazil so I am really enjoying the chance to teach that. In Social Studies we just finished our unit on the continents. This morning one of the mom's came in and presented on China (she is from China). It was very interesting and I learned a lot! Now we are studying ancient civilizations beginning with Mesopotamia and then moving onto Egypt.
I asked Josh, Brenda, and Jen to be my first dinner guests. They have been so very helpful to me. I also knew if it was a total flop they would be gracious. :) We had the basics, spaghetti, garlic bread, fruit, broccoli (yes mother a vegetable!!), and brownies.
Yea for broccoli! We had it last night (but dad didn't happen to have room for any!!!) Looks like a GREAT birthday cake. I'm thinking the teacher LOVED that. Are those M&M's???
ReplyDelete