Tuesday, August 13, 2013

First Days of School and Church

The first week of school went really well.  So far the students are well behaved.  The parents are very supportive and we work with Google Translate to improve our communication.  I think that is my new favorite website!!  I am learning the curriculum, schedule, and how things work here.  We begin each day with devotions which is such a wonderful experience.  Even though some are in Portuguese, it is still encouraging to begin my day in that way!

Here is a photo of my class taken this morning.


Here is a little video of them singing the Itsy Bitsy Spider in Portugese.  They aren't quite with the CD, but that's ok. :) It was fun for me to hear them sing it in English and then Portugese.  I'm sure its very normal for them, but it was new for me!




The past few Sunday's I have attended church with Josh and Brenda.  Dave and Jan Santos, from Grand Rapids, have started a church near-by that they attend and it has been nice to go with them and experience a Brazilian church service.  Brenda often translates what is going on for me!

Church building in process

Dave and Jan

A song you might recognize in Portugese

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the Itsy bitsy Spider!!! And the church service. . . but I think I hear someone singing in English??? Looks like the children are enjoying singing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to school with a Santos in 6th grade. They were missionaries to Brazil, probably Dave and Jan's son. :)

    ReplyDelete