Monday, June 1, 2015

Sunday´s

Walking to church one Sunday morning I came across this...

and that night I got stuck in a favela (slum) and nearly stepped on this little guy!

Now for the good parts about Sunday!  Sunday is my favorite day in Brazil.  I absolutely love the church God has allowed me to be a part of here.  In the morning I walk over to my friends´ home and they give me a ride to church.  We catch up on each other´s weeks, and I get to spend time with one of my students as well as his two brothers and little sister.  This family has been an incredible blessing to me during my time here.  They minister to men who are live on the streets.  They run a rehab clinic here.  They teach men skills such as construction as these men build new lives with Christ.  

Glen and Prisca are in the back holding Zoey and two of their three boys are in the front.  

  Calvary is truly an International Church.  It often makes me think that maybe this is a little taste of what heaven will be like.  I took this picture yesterday.  Singing here is a lady from Africa, another one from the U.S. and a Brazilian was playing the piano.  What a beautiful blend of voices, accents, and cultures represented here and every Sunday as the Body of Christ unites and works together.  

Each week I learn truth and am able to apply principles from the message to my life.  The pastor is able to take passages I have known my whole life and draw out ideas and principles that I have never thought of.  

This is an old picture taken just a couple weeks after I arrived when I had some visitors!  We are here with the pastor.  

There is a great group of people my age that meets twice a month to study God´s Word and encourage one another.  

Here Ed and I are with the leaders of this group: Douglas and Susie

I am also involved in a multi-age Community Group that meets in my neighborhood.  

Finally, Calvary has offered me the opportunity to serve in various capacities.  I´m so thankful to have the opportunity to serve God outside the classroom as well.

Here I am in the nursery with Zoey.



2 comments: